Thursday, February 01, 2007


21 January 2007 – As my next marathon is only going to be in June, this GE 30km run seemed to be meaningless to me. I just wanted to enjoy the run and at the same time I hope to do better than my last year’s timing of 2:35. Deep inside my heart, I knew I should have no problem, as this year’s distance is about 800m shorter than last year’s 30.1km.

This year’s event has indeed attracted more quality runners. It was obvious that most of the runners were very determined, preparing well for the main objective – the Kuala Lumpur International Marathon to be held on 18 March 2007. I was surprised when I realized that my fellow runners who are usually slower than me in training, suddenly ran side-by-side with me. As the result of this, I was influenced to run faster than I had planned even though I know I am not in perfect shape that very day.

The first loop of “bull run” covering the Double Hill, I did 53:57. After that, I tried to increase my pace for the next loop from the National Memorial to Hartamas. However, I found myself tiring down especially after the mosque. I think the huge slope prior to the mosque has taken its toll on me. I was a spent force! Luckily the organizer provided power gel at the Hartamas water station. I was recharged again and continued my journey back. I did 46:11 for this section. I need to mention that I encountered an unpleasant experience at this water station – a fellow runner unintentionally spit water to the right side of my face and the water fell into my cup! Sigh!

For the final section of Hartamas to the Lake Garden, I did 48:04. I was struggling all the way – consequence from the lack of training. I must say it was my mental fitness that helped me cross the finishing line as physically, I was totally worn-out! My back, shoulder, thigh and Achilles tendon muscles were aching for the next 3 days after this race.

Ah, yes! I completed the race in 2:28:12 (unofficial) for this second edition of GE 30km run.

No comments: