Sunday, June 05, 2005

der-pacemakers 1st anniversary run

This special event was organised by the runners for the runners. Even the sponsors are runners and the volunteers are runners who sacrified their run to support the event. Therefore, it was restricted to a strong 30 cast.

The race was initiated by the gang mostly made up of KLCC and Kampung Pandan runners who call themselves "der pacemakers". So, without doubt, it was held at the KLCC track this morning.

Wai Mun and I arrived at KLCC car park around 6.45am. Immediately to our surprise we received a very nice goodie bag each. The bag was so nice that I wish to keep it or use it as a gift bag.

While waiting for the race to start, we chatted with other participants who are also our close friends, ie. the penguins - Tan Khee Meng and Tan Chee Wee, the pacemakers - Ronnie (the organising chairman cum timekeeper), Rachel (chairman's home minister), Yaziz (the main sponsor cum waterman), Justin (the marker), Ryan (the waterman), Tey (the cameraman), Khoo (the Moroccan-liked pacer), Toh (the Top man), Chen (the Top Seed), Kenny (fifth seeded), Kelvin (the laughter), Ajeep (the GIANT), Newton, Sim and other buddies like Kevin Chow, Tomoko, Rohaizad, Adam, Jessica and many more.

After taking some "family" photos, with the magnificent Twin Towers as the backdrop, we were flagged off at 7.30am. My initial intention was to take it easy like in a training. However, after seeing the rest being so serious and trying their best, I had no choice but gave my best effort too.

No wonder I finished the 8-lap race (10.4km) in a PB of 46'32". I was equally surprised with my split as all were under 6 minutes - 5'45", 5'52", 5'55", 5'58", 5'57", 5'49", 5'48", 5'28". I was also satisfied as I managed to justify my no. 6 seeding when I came back in the fifth position. I was then upgraded to Forth due to a technical reason.

My wife was the eighth participant to cross the finishing line.

We went home with a pair of lovely "crystal-like" trophies! Many thanks to the sponsors, the organisers and the volunteers for a simple yet well-managed and fun-filled event.

No comments: